Friday 17 January 2014

Thinking of Writing a Novel

Over the past few years I have often pondered about whether or not to write a novel and if so, what should it be about?

          Personally, I'm thinking of setting it at some time in the future so I don't have to worry so much about historical inaccuracies. I wouldn't rule out writing one set in the past, but I would be quite worried about getting some of my facts wrong and causing a massive plot hole in the process. This problem could also arise if I were to set it in the present, so like I said, this problem could be mitigated, at least in part, by setting it in the future. Exactly when, I don't know, that would depend largely on what the theme of the book would be and any specific plot lines it would include. Another option would be to write an alternative history type book. For example, what would the world be like if one of history's great wars had turned out differently.

          Now in terms of the theme, I'm thinking of writing one of those novels that has one plot line, but from two different people's perspective. Again, who these people are will largely depend on what I choose my specific theme and plot lines to be. I'm kind of edging towards something war/conflict related or something involving international terrorism. Naturally, this would mean either writing a mystery or a thriller.

          I looked up how to publish a book a couple years ago and I seem to remember that the easiest and cheapest would be to publish it through the Amazon Kindle. Now the royalties you receive would entirely depend on what package you decide to go with and the price you set it at, but for me, that wouldn't be a large factor in my decision making. Firstly because I doubt I'd get much money from it no matter what level the royalties were set at. But secondly, and more importantly, I'd only be writing this novel for the simple enjoyment of it. This is why I thought about writing one in the first place, but also, the novel probably won't be any good anyway if you didn't enjoy writing it and give it the time and effort it deserves.

          Another concern of mine if I were to publish it would be the issue of copyright. What would put me off publishing it would be the fear that I inadvertently stole someone else's idea without realising it. You could get it edited and checked over by a professional, but this could quite easily cost hundreds of pounds. I admit, I haven't actually looked this up so I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me.

          If and when I do decide to write a book, I would probably spend weeks planning, researching and replanning before I even start putting pen to paper. This is because I would want it to be perfect, otherwise what's the point? That plus I don't want to get my facts wrong only to realise half way through writing it and then having to rewrite the whole thing. That would waste so much time and be such a demotivator. So, I wanna get it right and I wanna get it right from the off, so preparation will be key.

          Now it's time to get my thinking cap on and start doing that planning and research I guess.

Thanks for reading,

Jason Cates

No comments:

Post a Comment