Tuesday 16 July 2013

A Pet Peeve: Confusing Opinion with Fact

One of the few things that annoy me is when people believe their own opinions are bottom line fact and are intolerant of any opinion other than their own. Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly happy to entertain and consider different views and ideas, if anything, I enjoy it as it encourages me to question my own opinions. All I want is to be treated with the same respect and tolerance. In the past I've met people who would go absolutely hysterical when someone didn't agree with them and then they would go off in a strop like an immature child. Frankly, in my view, if you’re so sure that your opinion is the right, then surely it should survive vigorous debate and question and in that case, there's no need to get defensive. 

          This fear of being wrong often comes from people who may be confident on the surface, but underneath are haunted by significant self-doubt and who have a fear of uncertainty and the unknown. These people, in my view, won't get very far in life, either professionally or in their private lives if they continue to live with this self-doubt and fear. However, any change in mentality should come naturally and not be forced by anyone else as that could more harm than good by pushing them in the opposite direction.

          This confusion of opinion and fact is especially apparent when it comes to stereotypes, whether it's based on race, religion, nationality or sexual orientation etc. The specific cases of race and religion have in many countries led to the rise of many right wing groups such as the Finnish True Finns, France's National Front and Britain's UKIP and EDL. The rise of such groups will always occur in economic downturns such as the financial crises of 2008 and people become more interested in preserving their own position. Depressing though that is, it will eventually reverse as the economy recovers and people start feeling more secure and less uncertain about their future. Simply, my pet peeve is with close mindedness and intolerance of opinion. 

OK, rant over and thanks for reading.

Jason Cates

No comments:

Post a Comment